Mini-NaNo 2014 – The End

coffee writing

Aaaand… that’s a wrap! (Sorry this is a day late. Technical problems!)

So, that’s the end of NaNoWriMo – and the end of our #MiniNaNo – for another year. I am pleased to say that despite a couple of tough days last week, I more than made up for it by writing a lot at the weekend and finished with a very respectable…

20,000 words

Yay! 🙂 That is a very approximate word count as I wrote all of it longhand. However, if anything I am under-estimating so I feel pretty confident in saying I have at least 20K. Considering that my minimum goal for the month was 15K, I am very happy with where I ended up. It would have been awesome to write more, but with everything currently going on in Life I still think that 20,000 words (in longhand, too!) is something close to a miracle.

More important than the number of words, I actually like what I’ve written. Not the words themselves, in terms of craft – because most of them are very rough and sucky – but the story and characters seem to be working okay. I think there’s quite a lot of potential in the project, which is all I can really ask for at this stage. I’m looking forward to typing it all up (editing/adding/cutting as I go along) and really seeing what I have. It will hopefully be a good foundation to build on.

Here is my final star chart (each star represents 500 words, as discussed in the original blog post):

mininano-final
(Click to embiggen)

So, how did you get on this month? I hope you’re happy with whatever you’ve written – no matter how many words you produced, remember that just writing anything at all is an achievement!

I’ve enjoyed blogging each week throughout November, and am going to try my best to continue that in December. Look for Moth Mondays as we build toward the ebook publication of Hunting the Dark in January 2015. I’m sure I can find something Moth-related to ramble on about every Monday for a few weeks… 😉

(P.S. I just realised that this is my 400th post on this website!)

HTD web
Cheers & see you next week,

Kaz

This entry was posted in Blogging, Writing and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Mini-NaNo 2014 – The End

1. Sarah says:

Congratulations – that’s a brilliant total! And ‘hurrah’ for liking what you’ve written; that’s a great feeling! I managed about 16,000 words (so I hit my target – yay!) and I got a star sticker (for writing first thing) on every single day. I am, however, deeply jealous of your purple/lilac stars 😉 Thanks again for running this challenge, Kaz, and I hope you have a great December. x

Congrats on reaching your goal, Sarah! Even better that you wrote first thing EVERY day. Wow… picture me wide-eyed with admiration for that. 🙂 Thanks for writing with me. It really helped!
      xx

2. Shanna says:

400 blogs! Wow. Impressive.

Happy to see you wrote 20,000 words – well done Kaz! Love the stickers.

For me this started out well – working on it during my lunch break at work – but as mentioned during one of the check ins, there was also Family Stuff going on. Unfortunately this ended with my grandma passing away, so I flew back to the Netherlands and only returned on Monday. That, and my holidays in Dublin, made the last part of November very unproductive. However, I have written around 5,000 words – and passed the 40k mark – AND found out that I like this routine, so I will continue working on my story during my lunch break. Maybe not every day, but if I can do that a couple of days each week, I’m more than happy.

Also, I wish we could have a miniNaNo every month! I love the weekly check ins and noticed (once again) that I always look forward to it. 🙂

I think you did brilliantly, Shanna. Writing in the cracks of life is sometimes the best we can do – especially with Life and Family Stuff going on. I’m so sorry about your grandma. Sending you and your family lots of love.

I’m happy to hear that you’re going to continue the lunch break writing – good for you! You achieved a lot in November and I’m really glad you wrote with me. Maybe I’ll do a spring writing thing… 🙂

3. Sarah Bryars says:

Congratulations on your total – that’s a brilliant month of writing! I got to 12k which I’m happy with given that I had no writing plans and work was a bit heavy. I’ll leave what I’ve written and read it a little later to see what I think of it – still not sure at the moment!

Thanks for doing Mini-Nano – you made sure I actually wrote something this month 😀

12K is AWESOME!! Like, for realz – especially considering it was a heavy work month… and that you weren’t even planning on writing anything. 🙂

I hope you re-read what you wrote and find things to love. At least something that gives you a good foundation to work on later. Hugs to you! Thanks for joining me. <3