Mini-NaNo 2014

crest-nano So. Guess what? It’s that time of year again. Yes, it’s time to get your NaNoWriMo on – if that’s something you like to do. :)

I have had very mixed results with my (many) attempts at NaNo. I talked about it a little last year, and in more detail back in 2011. Despite my generally positive feelings toward the writing challenge, I am NOT signing up officially in 2014.

Basically, Life is crazy busy and I know that getting anywhere close to writing 50,000 words next month is nothing short of madness. So I’ve decided to do my own ‘mini-NaNo’ (something I’ve done in the past with the various KazNo writing things I’ve run here on the blog – although I’m not calling it that this year). I have a brand new YA project whispering in my ear, and I think I’d like to try writing at least some words in November – otherwise there is a very good chance that all that Life Stuff will take over and I won’t write anything at all.

In the interests of keeping myself accountable/inspiring myself, here is what I am aiming for:

At best, I think I could hit a high of 30,000 words.
(Honestly, I still don’t think I’ll manage this, especially if certain things in Real Life shake out a certain way. Everything could come off the rails. But I will attempt this as my absolute Dream Goal.)

However, because I know that even reaching 30K is hopeful, I’m going to set a minimum goal of 15,000 words for the month.

That way, I can aim for a minimum of 500 words per day, just to keep my head in the story – just to keep the project moving forward a little.

I’m going to use my own version of Victoria Schwab’s ‘Star Sticker System’ for November to help keep me on track. I already have a calendar – and stickers (pink and purple, because they make me smile), with each sticker representing 500 words written. So I’m good to go!

nov-stars

All that remains is for me to finish figuring out at least the basics of the story I’m going to tell. I have characters and setting and conflict. Kind of lacking in actual plot, but hopefully that’s what I’ll address this week – before starting Actual Words on Saturday, 1st Nov.

Good luck if you are participating in the full NaNoWriMo. I wish you much inspiration, speedy writing, and as many words as you can comfortably manage!

If you’d like to join me in my mini-NaNo (anywhere between 15K and 30K for the month), let me know in comments. We can cheer each other on, and I’ll make sure to post weekly updates. :)

This entry was posted in Writing and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Mini-NaNo 2014

1. Senita Mahoney says:

I will join. I always have fun with these.

2. Shanna says:

Ok, I thought about it today, and I’m in. I need to get writing again and in order to do that, I’ve decided to reserve half of my lunch break at work for writing, which means I can dedicate 30 minutes each day towards my story. I’ll set the goal at 15,000 words just to set a goal, but if I manage to dedicate 30 minutes during week days, I’m happy.

PS: I’m also trying to persuade a friend of mine to join.

3. Sarah Bryars says:

I’d love to do this! I have no plan, or even an idea which is ridiculous I know. But if I don’t have something to motivate me then November will fly by and I won’t have attempted to write a thing so I’m in with a goal of 15,000 words. Also, that sticker system is simple but amazing :)

Yay! Very glad to hear it. That’s how I feel about November – I can see me not getting much in the way of New Words created, and I really do want to try. Setting a lower target will hopefully make it all feel more manageable. WE CAN DO EET!! :)

4. Sarah says:

Hello! I’d love to join in if I may. I’ve found your writing challenges really useful in the past, so thank you for running one again! I’m aiming for 15000 new words of fiction done this month.

Of course, great to have you! That’s pretty much my goal, too. I’d love to write closer to 30K, but it’s not going to happen this month. This is an exercise (for me) in trying to write SOMETHING and be satisfied with that. And 15K is an awesome goal – for both of us. :)

Good luck!