Monday Mutterings

I’m back!

Okay, you probably didn’t really notice I’d gone, what with the whole lack-of-blogging-thing becoming something of a habit. However. I am going to try to get back to more regular posts, even if they’re short ones. Or, you know, boring This-Is-What-I-Did-Today sort of posts.

I have a longer blog post about vampires and why I love them so much in the works, but I’m not sure when I’ll actually finish that. *makes a note to get on that ASAP*

Finally handed in The Stone Demon rewrite last week, and I’m already getting some feedback from Editor B. Thankfully, it seems we can work with this version and I didn’t mess it up quite as badly as I feared. Phew! I’m still pretty exhausted, but at the same time I found the love for the book which was such a relief. I think I was so terrified of ending a trilogy – and how to actually go about doing that – that I froze for a while and then wrote all the wrong things. At least amid all that angst and flailing around I found the right story, so now it’s just a matter of getting it fleshed out and polished during the next round of revisions/edits. Hopefully I’ll finish that before I leave for BEA.

In the meantime, I’m working on a middle-grade (MG) proposal for my agent, alongside the second Moth book – which doesn’t have a title yet! I hate writing something that doesn’t have a title… I need to figure one out, fast. Beautiful Ghosts was the original name I came up with for Book 1 of course, but everyone at Random House UK liked Falling to Ash better – and it fitted better, too, in the end – so that’s what we went with. I could use Beautiful Ghosts for the second novel, but I’m not sure it really fits that one, either.

Well, there’s time yet. It just feel strange to me, working on something called ‘Moth #2’…

This entry was posted in Blogging, Writing and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Monday Mutterings

1. Jason says:

Oh gosh! I still haven’t got around to starting The Wood Queen yet! I’m so sorry. I’m sort of charging my way through “Bite Club” at the moment, and I want to finish that in time for next Monday, when I shall hopefully be meeting Rachel Caine at a book signing in Brighton.
    Wow, it does sound like you’ve been uber busy. Not over-doing it I hope? And I bet you can’t wait to tackle America! You go girl!

Hey, you don’t have to apologise about TWQ – I would totally go with Rachel Caine first. 😉 Enjoy the signing! I wish I could’ve seen her this tour, but I couldn’t quite manage it.

Thanks for all the support – you rock!

Kaz

2. I’m happy things are working out for you with the Stone Demon rewrite! I’d be really scared to end a trilogy :/
    Can’t wait to read Falling To Ash! And I think it’s interesting that you come up with a title so soon – I always find that the hardest part and don’t start really thinking about it until I’m done with the first draft…
    Have fun at BEA! Wish I could be there…

It’s really tricky – way harder than I even thought it would be (and I knew it would be hard!).

Re. titles: I love how we all do things so differently! Normally I HAVE to have the title in place before I start. And it has to be an Actual Title, not a placeholder. But because I can’t afford to waste time, I’m doing things differently and it’s horrible. 😉

I wish you could come to BEA, too!

Kaz

3. Tricia Sullivan (@trishsullivan68) says:

Congratulations on getting the rewrite done! All that hard work is paying off.

Moth #2 does seem odd considering you usually have CLT (capital letter titles) that are very mysterious.

Ooh, BEA is getting close now! So exciting!

4. Dan-Phi says:

You can write it however you want, but it’s MNT to me. Or maybe SMB, so we can follow the pattern without duplicating for the next one.

I dunno. I think I’m going with Tricia’s suggestion of CLT, but these are pretty good back-ups. 🙂

5. Kim says:

Congrats on handing in TSD! 🙂 I’m still waiting for the library to give me TWQ. *sigh*

& ahh! I thought it was just me who had that title quirk 😉 – to the point where I can’t bring myself to start something for which I don’t have a title. It can be a placeholder, but it HAS to have one! So usually I just open up my media player and name it after a song until something else sticks. (I’m awful, haha.) How about a fire-esque theme? Rising to Flame! Soaring to Smoke! Tumbling to Embers! 😉 (Now you see why my placeholder method is borrowing song titles haha!)

Thank you, re. TSD! Also, I’m sorry you’re having to wait for The Wood Queen – although it makes me happy to hear that people are getting it from libraries. 🙂

TUMBLING TO EMBERS made me laugh. For realz.

Cheers,