So. As I mentioned in yesterday’s blog post at the Deadline Dames, I am currently rewriting The Stone Demon, but the moment that is off my desk (on April 2nd) I intend trying to finish my adult romantic UF. This is the one that used to be known as SOR* and will henceforth be known by its new title initials: BAS.
I only have a few weeks to work on it, and I would dearly love to finish the draft so that Agent M can see if it is in any way, shape or form something we might try to sell. After cutting some obvious crap from what I wrote previously, I have about 30,000 solid words. The draft will probably need to be more like 90K, but I might get away with 80K as a first draft – especially as I tend to add during revisions.
April, for me, is going to be an attempt at a sort of KazNoWriMo: 50,000 words on BAS that month. I’ll no doubt have to work on other things – I’m expecting copy edits for Falling to Ash at some stage, for example – but I’m determined to get to ‘The End’ of this adult novel.
I thought it would be cool to see if others want to write alongside me. We’ve done this before, and it usually works pretty well. Often, you guys end up putting me to shame! 😉 But this time I’d like to run KazNo as more of a Set-Your-Own-Goals kind of thing. That way, more people can join in. Pretty much anything goes! Do you want to write first-draft stuff, but don’t want to commit to a NaNoWriMo pace of 50K? No problem! Aim for 20K or 30K. Are you revising? Revise your novel alongside those of us drafting. What about short stories: absolutely! Just tell us how many you’re aiming to write during the month. Same with poetry. And scripts – that’s totally cool, especially as April is actually Script Frenzy. (I really wanted to participate in Script Frenzy this year for the first time, but that’s not going to happen with my other work. Maybe next year!)
I’m going to keep this Spring KazNo simple:
– Sign up below in comments. Tell us you’re joining in and what you’re working on. Set your goals in the comment. Remember to make your goal(s) realistic, but also aim to challenge yourself a little.
– It’s okay to revise your goals during the month.
Shit Life happens and we all understand that. This community will be all about support and encouragement.
– Official start will be Sunday, April 1st, but I won’t post a “Let’s Go!!” blog entry until Monday, April 2nd. You should feel free to get cracking on the Sunday, though.
– Final day of writing will be Monday, April 30th. I’ll post a “How did you do?” entry on Tuesday, May 1st. So that’s 30 days of writing available. I will probably only be able to write on about 25 of them, but hopefully that will be enough! You may be in the same position.
– There will be weekly check-in posts every Wednesday and every Saturday. I’ve never tried two check-ins a week, so it’ll be interesting to see how that goes. You do NOT have to feel pressured to check in every single time, but it would be nice to hear from you on one of the days each week. That’s the whole point of joining in! 🙂
– Please try not to dwell on feeling bad if you’re not hitting the goals you set for yourself. Really. We have all been there. I am always there! We can support each other and cheer one another on in comments. Don’t apologise for your progress, or perceived lack thereof. Just consider revising your goals and keep moving forward.
– If you need to drop out at any time, that’s fine too. Nobody will shout at you.
– I do ask that you please keep Spring KazNo comments to the posts relating to it. If I blog about other stuff, that’s not the place to check in. Thanks for understanding.
Comment below to let me know that you’re joining in and what you’re working on! I’ll post a full list of participants on Monday, April 2nd 2012.
*Please note: that SOR post was a joke and the book was never actually called Sandstorms of Rapture. Not that it isn’t a great title… *g*