The Big Book Blog Post

I’ve been promising a big post about all the books I’ve managed to get my grubby little hands on lately, and here it is. Finally! Yesterday, I only managed to post my non-spoilery thoughts about a book I recently read and LOVED.

Today, I am going to give you a glimpse into my crazy TBR pile. I’m not kidding when I say that this is just a tiny snapshot of all the books I have been given, bought, borrowed or stolen found. In fact, the books shown below were all ‘acquired’ in the last couple of weeks. It’s no wonder I stay up reading ’til 2am most nights, otherwise I’d never get anywhere! πŸ˜‰

These are ARCs I still have to read from my Book Fairy:

Matched by Ally Condie

Everlasting by Angie Frazier

Rosebush by Michele Jaffe

Dust by Joan Frances Turner

Ana also forced me to take these, as they are from one of her favourite series of all time, and I have yet to fall in love with them (can’t wait!):

The Thief and The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

She gave me all of these, too (a mixture of ‘old’ and new):

The Other Girl by Sarah Miller

Blood Feud by Alyxandra Harvey

The Named by Marianne Curley

The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott

The Returners by Gemma Malley

The Alchemy of Stone by Ekaterina Sedia

Then, as if all that wasn’t enough, Ana bought me these two for my birthday (*flower*):

Dark Goddess by Sarwat Chadda

Night Runner by Max Turner

Sarah Rees Brennan made me buy this*:

Moonshine by Alaya Johnson

I finally bought the next one for myself (I’ve had my eye on it for ages, and will hopefully send it onto the lovely Ari when I’m done):

The Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyemi

This was my birthday gift to myself:

The Beastly Bride: Tales of the Animal People edited by Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling (Illustrated by Charles Vess – squee!)

I rarely buy hardbacks – especially not hardback anthologies, for some reason – but I’ve wanted this one ever since I first saw the cover posted on a blog months ago. I love anything inspired by folklore and mytholgy, and the previous collections edited by Datlow and Windling have been amazing.

These two were birthday presents from someone else:

Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd edited by Holly Black & Cecil Castellucci

The Spell Book of Listen Taylor by Jaclyn Moriarty

Finally, thank you so much to Bloomsbury UK who sent me an ARC of Jennifer Donnelly‘s forthcoming YA novel:

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

If you read about how I got all of these, I actually only bought three of them. O.o I am so lucky to have wonderful friends who help feed my book addiction, knowing that I can’t afford as many as I’d love to! πŸ˜‰

So, what have you just bought/borrowed/etc.? Or have you read any of these?

*Seriously, she practically marched me to the desk in Forbidden Planet. She kept pointing to the sticker on the front and saying, “SEE!! It’s got Β£2 off! This is MEANT TO BE!”**
**I might have embellished this story slightly.

This entry was posted in Books Glorious Books. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to The Big Book Blog Post

1. Cem says:

Okay, that’s strange. Until a few days ago I’d never heard of The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner until I picked up one of my best friends to go for coffee. I’ve lent her about 100 books over the past year, I’m her dealer πŸ˜‰ but when I picked her up she had a book in her hand, The Thief, and told me it was something she read a couple years ago and loved and that I had to read it. So it’s been added to my (very large) TBR pile to be read some point this week, in theory. I buy pretty much every book I want to read, my friends borrow from me rather than the other way around. I usually just turn up when I’m going to see them with a bag of books (anywhere from 1 to 7 or 8) and say ‘read these’. Yet to give them anything they particularly dislike πŸ™‚

• Cem says:

::rolls eyes:: that should be 8 )

That’s interesting timing, re. The Thief! πŸ™‚

I love that you’re a book dealer for your friend, just as Ana is for me. Heh. ‘Book dealer’ sounds so much more hardcore than ‘book fairy’… LOL!

I do try to pay it forward as much as I can, when it comes to sharing books. Every giveaway I run is run out of my own pocked, often with my own books as the prizes. I love to share books with people! And for once, when I met up with Ana last time, it was *me* who lent *her* several books. πŸ˜‰

But yeah…I’m very lucky to have such a prolific blogger as a BFF. (If I wasn’t a writer, I would TOTALLY devote my life to blogging about books.)

2. catie james says:

If I didn’t love you so much, I’d seriously hate you out of jealousy you lucky duck! πŸ™‚

3. Tricia Sullivan says:

Have you read ‘White is for Witching’ by Helen Oyeyemi? I’ve been wanting to read that, too, but the Icarus Girl has a beooootiful cover….

Also the Ekaterina Sedia looks interesting…

Damn you, Kaz!! You always make me want to read things. I wonder if I could just go in a cave for three years and read everything that I want to.

No, but I totally want to!! That’s next on my list… hmm… SOMEONE sent me way too many Amazon vouchers. Maybe I’ll use some of it on White is for Witching. πŸ™‚

• Also the Ekaterina Sedia looks interesting…

It is, and I’m curious to see what you think about it. πŸ™‚

She’s also got another coming out this year, called The House of Discarded Dreams.

Oh, I love that title!! That’s another one for the wishlist… *sigh* πŸ˜‰

Thanks for the heads up, though.

4. Tez Miller says:

Okay, now you’re just rubbing it in our faces πŸ˜‰ I want MATCHED, DUST and THE RETURNERS, and am very jealous that you have them and I don’t πŸ˜‰

5. Yay, happy Kaz with lots of books! The world is as it should be. πŸ˜€

Haha!! yeah, this really is what makes me happy. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing… πŸ˜‰

6. Carolin says:

Ahhhhh, I’m so jealous! *g* I’m dying to read Matched! I can’t wait til it comes out. πŸ˜€ Hope you have fun with all the books you scored! I have a high TBR pile, an even fuller amazon wish list and I have no idea how I’m supposed to read them all AND get other things done. Priorities. I don’t haz them. Heh.

Dude, I’d totally send Matched to you if I didn’t have to return it to Ana so she can review it. But maybe I can send you other books?? It’s not like it’ll be too expensive (not like sending to the US). I could be YOUR book fairy! πŸ™‚

p.s. I think your priorities are fine. As long as books come first.

• Carolin says:

OMG! Seriously?! You’d do that? That’d be beyond amazing! I’d totally love that and I’d obviously compensate you for it. My very own book fairy!

I was just thinking…. do you maybe want to have a coffee or something with me while I’m in London? If you have the time… and even want to meet this crazy German obviously. *g*

• Carolin says:

It was just an idea, btw. I didn’t want to sound pushy. =) If it doesn’t work, there’s no harm done!

OF COURSE I WANT TO HAVE COFFEE WITH YOU!!!! πŸ™‚

Sorry for the delay. I’m sure I replied to this, but I obviously didn’t.
            *sigh*

Are you shure you want to hang out with this scatter-brained crazy
            Londoner? Hehe…

Ooooh…. email me!! (Address on contact page & we’ll start talking
            a bit more regularly.) I can figure out what books to send you.

πŸ™‚

7. Ari says:

No you are not sending me The Icarus Girl, it’s a birthday present for you! that means keep it πŸ™‚ (if it makes you feel better I will tell you that I have a scary pile of books that I need to read. I too have started reading until 2 AM. haha)

I recently won Moonshine and I can’t wait to read it, the cover is awesome!

I have a fantabulous box of books I’m planning on sending you, I’m so excited πŸ˜€

LOL!! You’re so sweet. πŸ™‚

Well, actually The Icarus Girl was just something I bought, not really for my birthday specifically. *is cunning* But I still owe you some other books, anyway, so I’ll leave that one for now.

Re. Moonshine – that’s so funny! I asked Sarah Rees Brennan whether it was a good YA crossover, or whether it was full-on, rampant paranormal romance, and she said it would crossover really well. I’m excited to read it, too!

• Ari says:

Yes but I owe you books too and it’s not fair because you have my address, but I don’t have yours πŸ˜€ I’m terribly forgetful and never remember to save addresses on packages….. And you don’t OWE me anything.

Re: Moonshine. I’ve heard that are some ‘graphic’ bits which I don’t care about but might make it for the older YA set. Mine has yet to arrive but I will bump it up because it looks so awesome!

PS Are all the books (well YA books) you’ve read on your Goodreads account? πŸ˜‰

*G* I’ll email you this weekend. Heh. I’ve read a LOT of books. The only
          ones on my Goodreads account are the ones I’ve read since I started it.
          But still… I haven’t read much current POC YA. When I was a ‘young
          adult’ we didn’t have YA as a bookstore section. I read a lot of adult
          stuff from the age of 12 or 13 onwards. πŸ™‚