BEDM #2: sunday secrets

(BEDM* is my attempt to blog each day of May – just to see if I can.)

I found this photo on Glitter Graphics and couldn’t resist borrowing it. It has nothing to do with my post today. I didn’t even know what I was going to write about until I opened the ‘Add New Post’ page and started typing.

I have a secret.

Well, it’s not really a secret because I just told Renee about it. And my agent knows about it and approves, too… But still, I haven’t discussed it (yet) with anyone else.

It’s a new project. A secret/sekrit project. You know, one of those pesky things. *g* Let’s see how long I can keep this one to myself, shall we? (Hint: probably not very long, knowing me.) This is going to become my Sunday Sekrit Project (SSP). I am going to focus on the projects I have under contract, of course, the ones with Real!Deadlines! as well as paying freelance web stuff Monday through Saturday. But on Sundays, instead of taking time off I will work on this new book. Because I am totally in love with it.

It’s sort of a new-old book, because I’m taking an old idea and starting from scratch with it. Rather than having it focused on myth and magic (though there is some of that in there, still) it will lean more heavily towards science fiction – with a touch of cyberpunk. Is cyberpunk dead? Even if it is, I don’t care. I’ve decided to create a new subgenre called dreampunk. Ha! Take that, crazy confusing genres/marketing categories. I laugh in your face and invent whole new terms. 😉

*Blog Every Day May, in which I copy Jaclyn Moriarty.

This entry was posted in Blogging, Writing and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to BEDM #2: sunday secrets

1. Ooh, I like the idea of writing on a side project on Sundays. It can be a guiltless break from my main WIP.

Yeah, totally stealing this idea. You’re a genius, girl!

Well, I stole the idea from Maggie Stiefvater who wrote SHIVER on Sundays while doing her contracted work during the week. 😉 I was going to ‘credit’ her, but couldn’t find the blog post that explains this – it was from years ago. But yeah, cool idea! Go for it!

2. ThisViewOfMine says:

Ohhh, now every sunday you will have something special to look forward to! Way to go for taking on a different genre. : ]

“something special to look forward to”

That’s such a cool way of looking at it – exactly! 🙂

I love science fiction and post-apocalyptic stuff. I used to be into cyberpunk, back in the day (I am old *g*). I have all these crazy ideas and I have to get them down somewhere. Can’t risk losing this one just because I have other work to do.

3. Dan_Phi says:

You know, the problem with the term dreampunk is that it makes me think of some big guy thunking a broken off piece of wood in his hand, invading my dreams and saying things like “No more nice ones for you. All nightmares till morning!”
    But maybe that’s just me. It probably is.

4. Indigo says:

Totally love the dreampunk idea! And the whole Sunday concept. I have two manuscripts floating around that need an overhaul. Loved the ideas, the storylines however could use some major work. (Hugs)Indigo

Hey! *hugs*

Thanks, I think it will be fun and sort of freeing. Write with me on Sundays – it will become our Funday. 🙂

5. Renee Sweet says:

“Dreampunk” I love it. Perfect!

6. Tez Miller says:

Sci-fi? Cyberpunk? Dreampunk? Kaz, you just became infinitely more awesome, because I am so into futuristics right now, and since you’re writing one…that just adds to your awesomeness! 🙂

P.S. Not that I didn’t think you were awesome before, of course… 😉

Hee! Dear Tez, you do make me smile. 🙂

Thank you! I am really excited. Every Sunday is going to be filled with writing crazy stuff – just for fun! How cool is that?

7. Cyberpunk! Woohooooooo! I tried cyberpunk, but didn’t like it. I guess it has something to do with my spending too much time with computers on the day job. However, the dreampunk things sounds rather cool, though I’m sure if I try that it’ll turn into nightmarepunk. 😉

LOL!! I know what you mean. 🙂 I used to be into cyberpunk back in the day (William Gibson was a favourite at one time), but not so much now. This project just has that ‘feel’ to it. You know? Nightmarepunk is probably right – there are demons in this book, and they are the physical manifestations of nightmares… Hmmm… I think I might need to look at my terminology. heh.

Also, GREAT to see you here!! Yay!

8. Yolanda says:

Oh, cyberpunk rocks! I’m waiting to hear about a cyberpunk story… but anyway, enough about me. 🙂 I’m intrigued by the idea of working on a side project only one day a week. You’ll have to let us know how it goes as far as how much you get done every week. Will we see a word meter? lol.

9. Neil Ford says:

Cyberpunk is most definitely not dead, it just grew up (like the rest of us).

Can’t wait to hear more when you finally can’t hold it in any more.

– Neil.

10. VERY cool. I SO need to get a freaking schedule down with my non-fiction and fiction writing. I’m having such a tough time. I was thinking of assigning days to myself– more than a Sunday maybe– the weekend or whatever.

Dreampunk– makes me think of the Saosin video they had a couple years ago– very punk like and in a dreamy way:) I love anything punk because I’m mad that I was a teen in the 70’s and there wasn’t steampunk or goth back then. I love my teens music now:)

I find it very hard to stick to a schedule. Um… more like impossible. 😉 But maybe this one-day for the special project will work. We’ll see. Good luck with getting all YOUR work organised. Sounds like you have a lot to juggle!

I don’t know what video you’re talking about, but maybe I should check it out…

11. I don’t think cyberpunk is dead! I’m really intrigued now, since cyberpunk and steampunk were (arguably) made popular by the same guy, they’re kind of cousins… 😉

12. Firewolf says:

Woot!!! yay for secret projects!